Washington D.C.!

I loved DC!  And I realize that I will probably say that about every place we went to but just go with it OK? So in DC we saw all the places that you'd think to see while we were there! The White House, The National Mall, Holocaust Memorial Museum and much much more!  The latter particularly left an impression because of some of the 'graphic' content.  It was censored and you could choose whether or not to look over the ridge and see what was down there.  I more times than not did not look...what happened to those poor camp prisoners was beyond my imagination and I didn't want to make it a reality.  I've read enough books on the subject to fill my mind with images for a lifetime.  

We went to see the National Treasury but unfortunately it was closed!  Bummer!  But everywhere else that we went made up for it!  I think my favorite place while we were here was Arlington Cemetery.  The Changing of the Guard ceremony was spectacular.  I'll never forget it. It was what we learned about these soldiers, the dedication, the honor.  It was amazing.  This position is one of the most highly honored and awarded positions there is.  The training for it is intense.  You pretty much don't have a life and you live under the tomb area in a sort of underground facility training and training and training some more.  And when and if you get see this moment you'll understand why!  It's perfection!!  They look like fake robots working in complete harmony and rhythm.  Anyway the tomb itself that they are guarding represents all those 'unnamed' soldiers who fell during battle.






Here is a video that captures it...I can't remember how often this happens but there is someone out here guarding this tomb 24 hours a day 7 days a week, rain or shine.  So obviously they need to relieve one another every so often. :)  First the head guy comes out and talks to the crowd and then he meets the new guard and inspects his gun and his outfit before he can do his duty.  This video doesn't show them actually changing so look that up too if you're interested. And this is what happens each time...I just love it.  So amazing.  Such respect and pride for our Country.
     


The White House...what can I say?  What a big white house!!! :)




Next, the Capitol and the Washington Monument!


We got on the train and it stunk!!!  REally bad!  I remember!






The National Mall and Lincoln Memorial











And of course the fun museums!

This is the only Holocaust pic I got...it was pretty dark and depressing..












Silly :)

Then of course to the DC temple we go!  So beautiful!!!






These are still mile long posts!  Sorry!  So many pictures! So many memories!  

Comments

Popular Posts