The garden has been such a blessing this year.  It is seriously so much fun to reap the benefits of it (literally) and to eat it fresh and to also prepare it for future use.  Last night it frosted for the first time.  It was 26 degrees.  So yesterday we harvested like mad!  Buckets and buckets and bags of tomatoes...bags of chard...bags and bags and bags of peppers, jalapeno, bell and others...bowls full of cherry tomatoes and a ton more squash.  SO MUCH FOOD! So my mother and I went to town.  Last time we canned the tomatoes like normal and we were a little burned out so we went an easier route (although still a lot of work).   We blanched the tomatoes, peeled them and stuck them in freezer bags.  And after a bit of rearranging the freezer I got about half of them in there!  My mom took the other half.  Very excited about those.  Then when that mess was cleaned up I started on my chard.  I wanted to freeze it so I could use it in recipes like spinach.  The other thing that I am excited about is what's in that red topped tupperware.  It's pesto....yuuummmy!  So much basil in the garden so why not take advantage!  


I picked so much stinking chard!  This is all it cooked down to! Crazy! But my love says that the frost will actually make this stuff better so there will be more blanching and freezing of chard later.


This is only two bags of peppers.  There are about 4 more...chuck full of peppers!  My hubby has a very famous (to people that have tried it) smoked pepper sauce that we'll do.  Very excited!  But we'll also just cut some up and freeze them to use on pizzas and stuff.  We've also already made some jalapeno salt but will be able to make a ton more!  Thinking about Christmas gifts! :) 


This is about half of some unripe tomatoes that we picked to see if they will ripen on the counter.  We'll see...if not...we have plenty!!!  Oh and I am making a pumpkin cinnamon pull apart loaf, that explains the flour on the counter.  

Yum!  Waiting patiently for it to rise! 


Man I've been busy!  I also decided to make some homemade chicken stock....I am so ready to make soups and stuff and homemade stock is just so much better than store bought!  Plus I love the way it smells the house up!!!  


I love fall and it just gets me in the mood to cook and bake and now to garden and harvest!  I understand that now!  Such a blessing and so excited for the garden next year. We all have learned so much that the garden is going to be 10X better next year!  

Comments

Popular Posts